Sunday, May 19, 2013

Pet's Grieve Too...

Would gladly give credit to the artist but I don't know who it is.
Anyone who has lost a beloved pet knows how devastating it can be. They aren't just animals. They are our best friends, our fur children, our teachers and for most -- the loves of our life. They give an unconditional, pure love that we as humans don't get from other humans. I know, all too well, the pain and emptiness that is felt from that kind of loss, as my Patti Marie (Chihuahua) passed away two months ago and I still hurt.

During our grief most people forget about the other pets in the home. Don't forget, they grieve too, as most pets are very close to each other. We have three other dogs and they have felt the loss too. I have always considered myself part dog, therefore, I think like a dog sometimes. I know that sounds goofy but I am very intuitive to animals feelings and needs.

A great thing to do, if you can, is to allow your other animals the time to say good-bye to the pet that passed away. We were very fortunate in that Patti was able to pass at home. We let our dogs sniff her body and be near her when it all happened. They instinctively know what is going on when it happens and are very respectful of the process. Since our dogs were able say good-bye to Patti they haven't grieved like most other pets do during times like this.

Recently, a family member of mine had to put her dog down a few weeks after Patti passed away. She has another dog who was very close to the one that passed. I mentioned to my family member about allowing time for her other dog to say good-bye. She chose not to do it and her other dog now suffers. He looks for his sister all the time, everywhere. He is very depressed and doesn't want to eat. It's been over a month and he is still hurting and confused as he doesn't know what happened to her. She just left one day and never came back.

Most people don't realize that they can ask their vet to come out to their home so their beloved pet can pass in their favorite spot. Not all vets do it but most will (they just don't advertise it). Doesn't hurt to ask. If you aren't able to have your pet pass at home there are other things you can do for closure. You may be able to bring your deceased pet home and have the other pets say good-bye. If you still can't do that then bring out a picture of the animal that passed, a favorite blanket and/or a favorite toy with the deceased pet's scent on it. Make a little area in a cozy or favorite room and have your other pet's come in and sniff the items. Let them see you cry and talk to them -- tell them that the other pet has passed and give them a few moments with the items. You would be surprised how many animals will instinctively know what has happened after you do this.

Now, I know many of you will think I am crazy to blog about this but I'm not. Animals have feelings and hurt just like we do. I am always very aware and respectful of my beloved fur babies feelings. Like I said before, I could be part dog. Who knows. ;-)

I made this, feel free to use. :-)
There will be those pets who still might not understand and will grieve. Let them grieve. Give them the time that they need to do so. Let them grieve with you -- right beside you. It will strengthen your bond with them. Show them extra love and attention. Take them on more walks, more car rides, more snuggle time and more toys. Toys aren't just for special occasions. Every day that you have with your beloved pet is a special occasion -- a gift.

I made this, feel free to use. :-)

2 comments:

Two French Bulldogs said...

Pets definitely grieve. We have seen it and it could be quite heartbreaking
Benny & Lily

Unknown said...

You are soooo right and spot on about this! Pets totally grieve and it can be sooo hard on them too. I'm so glad you let the others say their goodbye to their family member too - that's so important! You are just such a great Mom to your bunch! Hugs!