|Photo Source: www.sablogzone.com|
Below is a beautiful but sad poem about the life of so many animals that are taken to animal shelters. I beg of everyone looking for a pet to remember the following things......
1. Pets are not impulse buys. They are not a pair of shoes or an outfit that you can return because you changed your mind.
2. Animals have feelings - they feel pain, sorrow, reject, stress and hopelessness.
3. You should ALWAYS review your lifestyle before you consider getting a pet. If you work all the time, travel a lot or go out on the town a lot, have children or a spouse that might hurt the animal, are allergic or don't like cat or dog hair in your home then please DON'T get an animal.
4. Dogs are not lawn ornaments - if you are thinking about getting a dog but want to keep them outside all the time then don't get a dog. Dogs are pack animals. They need human companionship. Also, dogs can die from being in too cold or too hot weather.
5. If you don't have enough money to take care of your pet properly (vet bills, spay/neuter, food, grooming, pet sitter and other necessities) then please don't get an animal.
Pets are a privilege - a gift from God. They are not something to acquire today and dispose of whenever the novelty or newness wears off. Animals get stressed out just like humans do. They are severely affected when people drop them off at shelters and dispose of them like day old trash. Next time you are thinking of getting a pet, please give it a lot of thought and careful consideration. It isn't just about you.