Saturday, November 2, 2013

Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) Celebration

 
Today people all over the world celebrate Day of the Dead (Spanish: Dia de los Muertos). For those who aren't familiar, the holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends, family and loved ones who have died. The celebration is held every year on November 2nd. The common symbol of the holiday is the skull as represented in the masks, jewelry, food, candies and clothing that many adorn on this special day.

To some it might seem like a depressing holiday but it is quite the contrary. It is a day filled with fun and happiness as people go to cemeteries to be with the souls of the departed and/or build private altars at home containing the favorite foods and beverages, as well as photos and memorabilia, of the departed. The intent is to encourage visits by the souls, so the souls will hear the prayers and the comments of the living directed to them. Celebrations can take a humorous tone, as celebrants remember funny events and anecdotes about the departed.


For those who follow my blog know that my precious fur babies, D'Angelo and Patti Marie passed away this year. We lost Patti Marie on March 18, 2013 and then lost D'Angelo only 5 short months later on August 22, 2013. It has been two and a half months since I've blogged. I just haven't been able to. I didn't even have the strength to do a blog post on D'Angelo's birthday - Oct. 14th. I cry all the time, although the last few weeks have been a little bit better for me. Every time I see a Chihuahua out somewhere, I cry, or if I see a picture of a Chihuahua that looks like my babies, I tear up. It always happens at the oddest times and usually out in public. I can barely show my face in Petsmart, Lowe's or Target because I start crying when I go in there. It's embarrassing to say the least.

I have been so heartbroken. Just when I started getting over losing Patti, I lost D'Angelo. I was so very close to my puppy dogs. They were my world and we were always together. So many people talk about all the adventures they would have if they had tons of money and could do anything in the world. My most favorite thing to do was to snuggle with my fur babies. I didn't want all of the riches in the world. I just wanted to be with my babies and I was. I snuggled with them, sniffed them often (I loved how they smelled) and showered them with thousands of kisses a day. I would dance with them, sing to them, carry them around while they fell asleep in my arms and completely adored them. One thing that I can say is that I cherished every day that I had with them (from the very beginning). I knew that each day was a gift - a precious gift given to me by God and that I wasn't promised tomorrow with them. I thanked God every night before I went to bed that I was able to be with them one more day. There is this quote that has really helped me through the sad times..."Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened" - Dr. Seuss. It is so true. I sometimes think how different my life would have been if they weren't ever in it. The pure, unconditional love that I received from them healed my soul from all of the trauma that I endured as a child and a young adult. Even as I type right now, I am overwhelmed with tears of joy and gratitude that I was so very blessed to share my life with them. Patti Marie and D'Angelo taught me about love and happiness. They taught me that the little things in life are the most important things and that life is meant to be celebrated.
They most definitely were my little pieces of heaven on earth. Most people will go through their whole life and not ever come close to experiencing the love and joy that I was able to with my puppy dogs. They were more than pets to me. They were my children, my heart, my loves and were (and always will be) a part of my soul. I am so grateful that I was chosen to be their Mommy and was able to share my life with the two most gentle and beautiful souls I have ever come in contact with. Today, I celebrate the life and love of Patti Marie and D'Angelo -- how very blessed I am!
 

1 comments:

Two French Bulldogs said...

What a nice heartfelt post. We know exactly how you are feeling.we miss Benny so much, our hearts are broken
Lily